Reckless Driving or Drag Racing in Phoenix, Arizona
In the state of Arizona, reckless driving is a serious charge. According to A.R.S. 28-693, a driver is guilty of reckless driving if they drive a vehicle with “reckless disregard for the safety of persons or property.” If convicted of reckless driving, you are found guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor, the second most serious misdemeanor charge. Our Phoenix reckless driving attorneys are well versed in defending these types of cased. Also, if you’re under the influence while reckless driving, not only do you need an expert law firm in your corner, you need an expert Phoenix DUI attorney. We can help.
Reckless Driving Conviction in Phoenix
A class 2 misdemeanor conviction means a maximum prison sentence of four months, provided it’s a first offense. If one or more similar misdemeanors or petty offenses have been committed in the two years before the date of the reckless driving charge, the guilty party stands to be sentenced for a class 1 misdemeanor – which can mean up to 6 months behind bars. To avoid a class 1 misdemeanor, an offender must be free of misdemeanor charges for two years, not including jail time.
Violations of certain laws in the two years preceding a reckless driving charge guarantee the driver will be convicted of a class 1 misdemeanor. Among these are:
- A.R.S. 13-1102, negligent homicide. This is criminal negligence resulting in the death of another person, and includes illegal abortion.
- A.R.S. 13-1103, manslaughter. Manslaughter is broadly defined as a person who performed reckless actions that resulted in another’s death. Manslaughter is a class 2 felony. There are many kinds of manslaughter, but a reckless driver only needs to be guilty of recklessly causing another person’s death to turn their reckless driving charge into a class 1 misdemeanor.
- A.R.S. 28-1381, driving under the influence. It is illegal to drive under the influence of alcohol, drugs, vapor releasing substances, or any combination thereof that result in driving impairment.
- A.R.S. 28-1382, driving while under extreme influence. This means a blood alcohol level of over 0.15%.
- A.R.S. 28-1383, aggravated driving while under the influence.
- A.R.S 28-708, drag racing on highways. Drag racing is a serious offense in itself that will be discussed fully below.
Being convicted of reckless driving can have serious consequences especially if you try to flee the scene. The judge usually requires the guilty party to surrender their driver’s license to the police, and a suspension of driving privileges is common. For reckless driving, this suspension won’t exceed ninety days, provided no previous offenses were committed within the preceding two years. If they were, the guilty driver must serve no less than 20 days in jail and is not eligible for probation, release, or pardon. A driver’s license is typically suspended for a longer period. License suspension lasting several years is not uncommon.
Racing on highways, or drag racing, is another kind of dangerous driving with severe consequences. Drag racing is defined as driving a vehicle in a race or speed contest, or for setting a speed record. Drag racing is a crime on streets and on highways. It is considered a class 1 misdemeanor, provided it is a first offense. If a person has already been convicted of drag racing within the preceding two years, he or she is guilty of a class 6 felony with no possibility of pardon, probation, release, or suspension of sentence until he or she has served 10 days in prison. A first time offender will pay a fine of at least $250, and typically must perform community service. Subsequent offenses mean higher fines.
Scott Stewart at the Stewart Law Group can help you prepare in light of a reckless driving charge. Contact our Phoenix reckless driving laywers today for more information.
What Our Clients Have to Say:
“If you need legal representation, the Stewart Law Group is who you need to contact. They are a professional and very efficient team!! Colin Bell was my go to guy. I can’t give enough praise to the legal representation that I received from Colin. He is very knowledgeable, professional, patient , and prompt. I felt blessed to have him on my side!!!!”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more of our 57+ reviews on Google!